Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Missionary Girlfriend Q&A: Part 2

Here are the questions I got from other missionary girlfriends to ask Wyatt. I loved hearing his answers for these...they like melted my heart! This boy comes home tomorrow night!!! But I work tomorrow night and I didn't want to get in the way of any family time so I'm hoping to see him Thursday. Don't worry...I'll be updating everyone! Anyways...back to the questions! Hope these help any of you...I would have loved to have this from somebody when I first started :)

Questions for Elder Wyatt Johnson:

How did you feel about P-days?
-I thought P-days were the best because it was a day of having fun with the zone, playing games, eating at restaurants, and I also loved thinking about my family and Alissa and the rest of my friends. I loved hearing all the stories of my family and Alissa and of course seeing pictures. Also P-day is a day I thought of as a new week, new goals, more experiences.

How did people treat you knowing you had someone back home?
-My companions thought it was awesome that someone was waiting for me because it's very rare when a girl waits for a missionary. The members loved teasing me about Alissa because I would feel trunky sometimes haha. But the only people that were mad was when I had investigators that were teenage girls. Almost every one of them asked me if I had a girlfriend, so I would just make them jealous and tell them yup and she is sooo beautiful and awesome :)

Do you have any advice for girls waiting to help the girls be more supportive or keep their missionary focused?
-Well I think something that helps keep missionaries focused is if you always remind them why they are out there, and why they wanted to serve the Lord, or send them talks that talk about missionary work. For example, Alissa, I remember my first package she sent me, she not only put pictures of her and letters, but she put talks in the package that had to do with missionary work, as if she not only put "worldly things" in the package, but she also put things that the Lord would want for his missionary.
But an advice I can give you missionary girlfriends, so that God can direct your lives better, read D&C 4 and study it. "If all missionary girlfriends would embark in the service of others and their God, like their missionaries, their lives would be directed by God and very fulfilled. You will discover that by loving God and devoting your will to His, your understanding of the following scripture will apply to God, your missionary boyfriend, and your life." (Alissa's comment: His dad actually gave me that advice when I first starting waiting but I totally agree with it and love it)

What do you wish you had done differently?
-I think I could have worked a little harder and studied a little more of PMG, etc.

What was the scariest thing about having a girl wait for you?
-That I would receive a "Dear John" haha or some other returned missionary would come and steal her haha.

Alissa waited and dated, so how did you feel about her dating and how did the two of you come to the conclusion that it was okay for her to wait and date?
-Well I actually wanted her to date other guys so that she can enjoy life, and enjoy the different personalities of guys, so she doesn't well waste her time waiting for me just to start going on dates again. Actually I don't remember on how we came to the conclusion, I mean I thought at first she decided to wait for me and I told her she didn't have to, I don't remember fully (Alissa's comment: He told me one night that I could date other guys if I wanted to while he was on his mission and I told him good because I wanted to). I promised her that if she put her faith in the Lord, that He would guide our lives and whatever happens, happens. But I prayed about it throughout my mission and basically my mission president told me that the girl I have is the one the Lord wants me to marry soo I remember coming out of that interview soooo happy haha.

What do you love the most about the girl you have back home?
-Wow I could say so many things! I remember one of the things that really caught my attention was her love for children. I thought it was sooo cute to see her with children and how happy she felt. And not only children, but people in general you could say haha. In a way, before I couldn't understand that love for a child, and through my mission, I have learned to develop that love. Now every time I see a little child, I just want to hug them sooo bad haha :) Also I love the hugs that Alissa gives because it feels like an Angel is hugging me. Alissa has sooo much faith in the Lord and even though she isn't perfect, she tries to be perfect and tries to follow the Lord with all her strength. Also she is Latina :) and I love Latinas. She is very intelligent and independent. Last thing, I love the love that she has for the Savior, and how she would do anything for him :)

Were you ever afraid of losing her? What things do you think helped you continue to have faith about your relationship with her?
-Not really jk hahaha :) Yes, yes I was afraid, well a little bit. I think what helped me was that she would send me packages and that she would always write positive things in her letters. And I remember she would always tell me in her letters that she was with me all the way through the end and that she will still be there when I get back. Also I think just relying on the Lord to help because you just have to realize that God has a plan for us, and we need to do what He wants us to do. For example, from when I didn't write Alissa for about 6 or 7 months in my mission, I feel like that really increased my faith in our relationship. Even after giving up writing someone that I love so much to the Lord, who I love so much as well, well that was one of the most challenging things in the mission because I had to put my faith to the test, and once I realized that she was still there even after all that time, I knew we could do this.

Did you have a moment on the mission where you knew you were where the Lord needed you?
-Yea, it happened when I had about 6 months in the mission.

Do missionaries with girls waiting for them, talk about the girls to people in their mission? If you did, what kind of things did you tell people about Alissa?
-I only heard 2 missionaries in my mission talk about their girlfriends. But yes, I did talk about Alissa and one of the things I would say about her is that she is a very special girl, and she is a girl I definitely need in my life :) I would tell everyone that she is Latina and that's where everyone gave me a thumbs up to marry her, so I'm fine about that haha (Alissa's comment: If you weren't aware, Wyatt has been in the Chihuahua, Mexico mission). I would tell them she is a very strong girl and has a lot of faith and patience and that she loves children sooo much :) and I would tell them that I love her so much and is the best girl I have ever had in my life :)

What was something that helped you and Alissa grow closer to the Lord while you were on your mission?
-I think it was our faith and patience. I mean like I said before, when I didn't write her for 6 or 7 months and once I started writing her again and she was still there. Because you can apply that to many things in life. You could have a big trial in your life, and if you put your faith in the Lord, He will help you with that trial so that in the end you feel so happy and grateful. Also patience because two years is sooo long but it's so fast and just in two years many things happen. And applying that to life, usually we want a blessing from the Lord, but we have to do something for Him in order to receive it.

What was the hardest part about having a girl wait for you?
-Sometimes I would think just the pain the girl is going through of just waiting for her best friend and her thinking that she could go with another RM and just be done with the pain and have happiness, soo basically a "Dear John." And I would hate feeling pain when Alissa would tell me "this happened at work and it sucked or this happened in my family and I'm sad or I'm really sick," and you can't do anything physically; you can only pray for her and rely on the Lord to help her and sometimes I would feel really sad.

What was the biggest thing you learned about relationships while you've been on your mission?
-That it really doesn't matter about the distance. What matters is the love that you have for each other. That if you both put your faith in the Lord, He will make sure things work out, but in His way. Paul said in the bible that we should treat our wives the way we treat the church - we should keep it clean and with good care and that the way you treat your body right now is the way you will treat your spouse in the future. (Remember that)

What was it like having a girl wait for you back at home, knowing she was supporting you along the way?
-It was really nice actually just knowing that you have someone waiting for you at home and knowing that when you get home, you already have someone to date and marry ;) Alissa always encouraged me to keep going and work hard and especially STAY FOCUSED ON THE WORK OF THE LORD. Ya, she has no idea how hard that was with her lovely pictures hahaha jk. Yes, I focused hard, no matter what.

Did you ever have any doubts about how things would turn out?
-To be honest, no. I would just do what the Lord wanted me to do.

Were you ever scared of her forgetting you or not loving you anymore?
-When I didn't write her for a while, there were times I thought about it and lost my faith. But sometimes I would have a good friend named Elder Hogan, write her but he would tease me sooo much telling me "Oh she said she loves me and hates you." And I would get so upset and I would lose my faith from that so I told him to shut up and not tell me anything else.

What was the best thing Alissa did for you during your mission?
-Sending me packages and her lovely pictures, that was the best part haha! I would be soooo happy when I got something from her. And especially waiting and having sooo much faith in me and in the Lord. All I wanted was for her to be happy and that is all I will ever want for her but the only way she can be happy is if she follows the Lord and that is what I wanted her to do through these last two years. I am so proud of her for doing that and pushing through it. I love her so much and I can't wait to be with her for eternity! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment